16 June 2010

Turning 20 in Canada

We arrived in Halifax on Sunday at around 7:30 p.m. Our connecting flight was supposed to get there at 4:33 p.m. so we experienced a few delays and mishaps along the way. We were originally delayed because our plane was late. Then it rained. Then the flight staff discovered there was weight issues with the airplane. After they scanned my boarding pass, they waved an arm in Bonnie's face and said, "Alright that makes 40. Sorry ma'am, you'll have to wait. She's the last one." I turned around, panicked, and looked at Bonnie, but they shut the door behind me. I started to freak out! They just had to let us fly together. The next flight to Halifax didn't leave until 9:40 a.m. the next day.

After a long wait, they finally let the rest of the passengers board, and Bonnie was able to join me on what had to be one of the scariest flights I've ever flown. But the long delays led to new friendships. There were about 10 other SAS girls on our flight, and we really bonded during the hours we spent in Terminal F.

Walking through Halifax on Sunday night reminded me of a ghost town. The streets were almost empty and many businesses were closed or shutting down. My new friends and I ended up at an overpriced American restaurant called Boston Pizza, but we were starving and it was the only place open at 10:00 p.m. The next day we explored the streets and the harbor boardwalk. I made the mistake of ordering a quesadilla in a coffee shop called The Wired Monk. Who orders a quesadilla in Canada? I should have known better. There are some things you just can't imitate-- and good Tex Mex is one of them. I actually never tried any native dish. On separate occasions, I had 2 bagels with peanut butter and 2 slices of Hawaiian pizza (with real Canadian Bacon in my defense.) Traveling lesson learned-- stick with what they know & grow.Later that night I went out to celebrate my 20th birthday. There were SAS kids all over the city. We ended up in a pub called Cheers that was hosting a karaoke night. We sang Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" on a stage covered in blue leopard print carpet & the entire crowd sang along. It was a great birthday!
Halifax is an artsy town with an interesting military history. It's filled with sailboats, lighthouses, art galleries, cute shops, and lots of places to eat. This Nova Scotia city surprised me and exceeded my expectations. The weather was beautiful and the people friendly. The streets are clean and the crime rate low. I would definitely go back. And next time I'll order the seafood.

2 comments:

  1. Those "weight issues with the airplane" probably had something to do with all the luggage you brought along! -- Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am so enjoying your blog and was delighted to learn that you had a great bday! I missed talking to you on your special day. Wow! 20 and on an amazing journey. I am so happy for you! Keep singing! Love you...Aunt Edie

    ReplyDelete