13 March 2013

Leaving Australia

Bittersweet. That's the only word to describe this departure. My mind is doing cartwheels, contemplating the endless possibilities ahead as I leave for a 4 week adventure in Bali, while simultaneously recalling the events of the last six months in Australia. So much has happened in this short time frame...



I learned to surf, scuba dive and make coffee. I made my home in Sydney with a group of lovable Brits. I worked my first retail and restaurant job. I got over my fear of creepy crawlies (well, sort of). I became a better traveler--a pro at packing, unpacking, sleeping in bunk beds and having up to nine roommates. I've developed skills in several areas including: communication, cultural sensitivity, adaptability, customer service, budgeting and negotiation. I've learned to love the great outdoors. I fulfilled both my dreams of living in a big city and living near the beach. I definitely don't regret taking the gap year leap, and I would highly encourage anyone considering it, to just do it.


I will absolutely miss all the people I've met on my journey. And I will miss this big, beautiful country. But I will be back one day, Australia. I've left too many borders uncrossed and too many reefs unexplored.

No comments:

Post a Comment