10 July 2010

Independence Day

July 4:
This morning, I hiked Mount Vesuvius. This volcano looked very different from the two I climbed in Nicaragua, probably because Vesuvius erupted only 70 years ago. The weather was cool and sunny, and the hike was a fairly easy one. I enjoyed the picturesque landscape and noticed the contrast between the harsh volcanic rock and the soft pink and yellow wildflowers growing through its cracks.   

When we got back from the hike, Bonnie and I caught the last afternoon ferry to Capri. On the ride over we met two new friends, Noel and Erica, who we spent the day hanging out with. Once we got to the island, we bought a ticket to see the Blue Grotto. We took a boat over to the other side of the island. I soaked in the sun and admired the gorgeous blue water. When we arrived at the grotto, we had to wait for little row boats to pick us up. The entrance into the cave is about 3-4 feet tall and can only be reached by swimming or row boat. While we were waiting, we heard angry shouting from the Italian workers. I looked over to the grotto, and saw one of the rowers emerge from the entrance with his head and shoulder gushing in blood! I could not understand why they were so mad at him except that the accident was making all of the tourists scared to go in. When I looked around and saw the faces of the other passengers, I realized I was right. I was more terrified to enter the cave than I ever have been waiting in a rollercoaster line.


But the four of us hopped into the tiny row boat, payed the fee, and ducked way down so we wouldn't hit our heads on the rock as the other man did. The inside of the Blue Grotto was awesome. The water is a bright blue, created by natural light. Unfortunately, we only had a few moments to enjoy its beauty before being squeezed back through the opening and asked for more money. The Blue Grotto is certainly a sight worth seeing, but it is also a tourist trap. If I could go back, I would have rented a boat for the day with my friends and swum in on my own.

After relaxing on a beach that was covered in stones and swimming around in the beautiful Tyrrhenian Sea, we ran into clusters of SAS students. We ate dinner together, and then celebrated the Fourth of July on the beach which was vacant this time. We toasted to America and sang the National Anthem. Yeah, we were those obnoxious Americans.

July 5:
Today I had a FDP (Faculty Directed Practica) visit to Mustilli winery in Sant' Agata dei Gotti. This quaint town was not used to a huge group of visitors, so I felt like part of a parade as we walked to the winery. The two daughters of the owner of this family business showed us around the outside and took us down into the chilly cellar. Students from four different classes (entrepreneurship, consumer behavior, family business, & international marketing) asked questions and our tour guide translated for us. I learned about the wine industry in Italy and how big brand supermarkets and new technologies are creating stiff competition for this century old winery. Fortunately, the Mustilli family has many loyal customers and restaurants that appreciate their old fashioned techniques and superior quality. When the interview was complete, we went upstairs to sample some of the wine- best field trip ever.

Our bus returned early, so Bonnie and I decided to explore Naples. At first glance (and maybe second or third), Naples is an unattractive, nitty gritty city. But legend says that it is the birthplace of pizza and mozzarella, so I set out, determined to find the best pizza in all of Naples. I wrote down the name of the place that Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel went to on her stay in Naples. The restaurant which has been operating since 1870 is called Da Michele, and when we arrived there were at least 20 people standing and waiting outside. Apparently this establishment comes highly recommended by Rick Steve, every travel book, and the novel Eat Pray Love. We took our number and waited at least 40 minutes, but it was so worth it! I ordered a normal Margherita pizza and a Coca-Cola Light. The pizza was indescribably good. Bonnie and I each had an entire one for ourselves. Naples would not rank high on my list of recommended destinations, but if you want to try the best pizza in Italy, and are willing to look a little harder to find beauty then you just might discover the unexpected. I did and I don't regret it.



I think if countries could be soul mates, Italy would be mine. I have loved everything about it-- the people, the food, the coffee, the architecture, the fashion, the wine, and the laid back lifestyle. There's no way I could have seen it all in only a week. There are still so many places I want to see-- Cinque Terra, Milan, Venice, Florence, and Pisa. I will just have to come back one day.


"What is the fatal charm of Italy? What do we find there that can be found nowhere else? I believe it is a certain permission to be human, which other places, other countries, lost long ago." --Erica Jong

No comments:

Post a Comment