13 June 2011

A Dinner Party, Art Exhibit & Music Fest

Today is another holiday in Germany and I'm using the day off as an opportunity to catch up on my summer to do list. But first, a new blog post-- to catch you up on what I've been up to the past week.

Last Wednesday the interns had a pot luck dinner night at Jesus and Diego's flat in Dudweiler. I made bruschetta using the tomatoes I bought at the farmer's market and fresh basil leaves from the plant in my room (which unfortunately, has now fallen from my window sill.) I also learned how to make Spanish tortilla, and by "learned" I just mean watched closely as Jesus prepared his signature dish. Afterwards we went to the pub on the university campus. It was a delightful evening filled with homemade food, new acquaintances, dancing, and lots of laughter.

Wilkommen in Dudweiler
the chef, hard at work
pizza, bruschetta, chicken, pimientos rellenos, & sangria
the cute little town of Dudweiler
On Saturday, I went to a flea market with Ludivine, Diego, Jesus, David (Diego's cousin), and Mathias (their friend from Argentina). The flea market is held every second Saturday of the month near the castle in Saarbrücken. It was smaller than the one I went to in Berlin but more spacious and easier to navigate through.
Flohmarkt
reupholstered furniture in funky, retro patterns
After the flea market, we boarded a train to Völklingen, a neighboring town where a preserved ironworks still stands. The Völklinger Hütte was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994, and today it is the only fully preserved ironworks in the world. The factory is massive and there are lots of cool museum exhibits inside.

Yesterday we went to the ASta Open Air at the university. The music fest was free, spotlighting local and regional talent. Aside from one or two acts, I wasn't really crazy about the music--a lot of hardcore metal and punk rock. But the atmosphere was great with tons of college students and sunny weather.


"Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future." -Audrey Hepburn

(Photos 10-12 courtesy of Ludivine R.)

1 comment: