28 July 2011

Texas on my Mind

I keep running into little reminders of Texas everywhere I go. Perhaps they are signs that is about time for me to head back where I belong. This summer has been great, just not what I expected. I knew that working abroad would be a different experience from studying abroad, but I never imagined how completely opposite it would be. However, I'm glad that I took this internship opportunity. It took a courage that I did not even know I possessed to leave behind everything familiar at home and fly across the globe to a place where I knew nobody. Had I not taken this chance, I may have always wondered what it was like to live in Germany. 

But the truth is, I feel like a fish out of water here. It's cold and rainy most days, and I just miss the summer weather I used to know, the beach, Mexican food, and my family and friends. Three months (or a quarter of a year really) is a long time to be in one place, when that place isn't home. The grass always seems greener on the other side, even though I know that it is much greener here than in the drought-ridden land I said goodbye to in May. And maybe when I'm back in Sealy sweating in the 100+ degree heat or stressed out of my mind at school in Fort Worth, I'll long for the lazy, grey days in Saarbrücken when I had few responsibilities. But right now, I simply desire to feel the warmth of the sun upon my face, to eat a Chilly Willy snow cone, and wear sandals and shorts again. Is that too much to ask for? Twelve days until I'm home. Let the countdown begin...
graffiti along the Saar River
I'm not sure what is so Texan about pepperoni pizza, but they sell this in Ihr Platz
it may be hard to find Dr. P on the East Coast, but it's here in Germany
cowboy boots in Paris (France, not TX)

“For a few precious moments… I am back in Old Texas, under a high sky, where all things are again possible and the wind blows free.” - Larry L. King

"A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner." –John Steinbeck


5 comments:

  1. come on home !!! we'll leave a light on for ya!!! dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as you miss being in Texas, those who are here miss you 10 times more! Can't wait until you get back. Much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah!! I've ready your blog while you were on SAS and now Germany. You're soooo lucky to be able to experience all of this...I've been living vicariously through you for sure. When you get back, I'll definitely be visiting DFW this fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, could you please tell me where the cowboy boot shop was in Paris that you visited? The photo looks amazing and I am heading to Paris in June. I would love to visit this cowboy boot shop.

    Thank you very much.

    Indiana May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Indiana,

    The cowboy boot stand was near the Marché aux Puces St-Ouen (http://marcheauxpuces-saintouen.com), which is the most famous flea market in Paris. I could have easily spent an entire day meandering through the thousands of stalls in this market. Enjoy your trip to Paris-- you will love it!

    All the best,

    Leah

    ReplyDelete