22 September 2012

Things My English Roommates Say

Living and traveling with a bunch of Brits these past two weeks has started to rub off on me. Not only have I switched from coffee to tea (mostly due to affordability) and I'm eating things like beans on toast for breakfast, but I've also caught myself saying words & phrases that I would have never used at home. Here's a sample of the English language that I now hear on a daily basis.

Lift / Trainers / Jumpers / Mental / Geezer / Supermarket / Scumbag / Lovely / Shattered / Fancy / Bin / Press ups / Bless her / Brilliant / Fancy / Cheers / Massive / I'll give you a ring / Rubbish / Take away / Nonce / Torch / Mate / Spastic / Bloody / Mentalist / Posh / Leaving Do / Training  / Proper / Spazzing out / I can't be bothered / Lush / Cheeky / To be fair / Guttered / Mental, mental, chicken oriental / Corridor / Lad / Grubby / Scummy / Treat / Toasties / Keen / Comfies / Minging / Saucy / You alright? / Nicked / Jacket potatoes / Loads / Heaps / Square / Trackies / Have a go / Plasters / Wicked

The guys call me a "yank," which I just love considering I'm a southener from Texas. I get into 3-5 arguments a day on the correct pronunciation and spelling of words such as aluminum. As the only American in my room, I'm clearly outnumbered, so I usually let them think they're right. I'm able to tolerate the jokes because I've realized this is probably the closest I'll ever get to living at Hogwarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment