02 January 2013

2013: A New Chapter in the Book

Another year has snuck up on me. What happened to 2012? Oh that's right, I spent it in constant transition--from the frenzied pace of university life--always surrounded by young people, parties, exams and schedules--to the long days of summer back in my sleepy hometown. I spent it driving back and forth from Fort Worth to Dallas three times a week. And then I hopped around cities all summer long from Fort Worth to Sealy to San Antonio to Charleston to Corpus Christi to Austin to Houston to San Francisco to Auckland to where I am now--Sydney, Australia. 2012 was like one of those amazing rollercoaster rides where you queue up for hours and then as soon as you're all buckled in and take off, it ends in a flash.

Last year was full of surprises, confusion, disappointment, accomplishment and change. Upon graduation, I wasn't ready to jump into a lifelong career. I didn't want anything to do with growing up. I simply desired to travel the world, sleep in tents under the stars, drink coffee with new friends and write down all my stories. Living in Sydney has changed my attitude about growing up. Maybe I just needed some time in a beautiful place--to get a little lost, in order to find myself. In Australia, they call this going on walkabout. Though I still don't know exactly what I want to do, I know who I want to be. And I know that in order for me to become the person I want to be, I need to be back in my home country. At least for right now.

I've got a really good feeling about 2013. This year I resolve to:
  • volunteer more
  • spend less & save more
  • take more photos & videos
  • write more handwritten letters
  • begin my pursuit of the American dream
Happy New Year! Wishing you a 2013 filled with joy, laughter & adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment