26 January 2013

Summer Nights in Centennial Park

The nights are warm in Sydney this time of year, so I've been finding as many excuses as possible to be outdoors. This week I walked to Centennial Park with some of my friends, where we found a garden of lights. We strolled through a forest of violet trees and listened to an acoustic performance while snacking on a picnic of wine, bread, brie cheese and chocolate. We also stumbled upon a wishing tree, where we wrote down our hopes and dreams and tied them to the dangling branches.

The following evening in the park was equally magical, when my group of friends met at Moonlight Cinema for a showing of Top Gun. We made a picnic on the grassy amphitheatre. People brought their pillows, blankets, beanbags and dogs. Hundreds of bats flew overhead as the sun set. We ate cupcakes and drank wine and laughed at the cheesy moments of the film. It's for the simple pleasures like picnics in the park, outdoor movies, denim cutoffs, and walking barefoot in the grass that I love summertime. I'm so glad I decided to extend my summer season by coming to Australia. Nine months of warm weather and still counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment