17 March 2013

Island Life

It's impossible for me to say the word Bali without letting out a dreamy sigh in the process. It's so different from anywhere else I've been, and maybe for that reason, it's my favorite place I've ever visited. The island is a delight for the senses. Everyday I hear the whimsical melody of the gamelan, the beautiful Balinese language, a bell ringing in the nearest temple, stray dogs barking in the streets, and crickets and geckos at night. The food is cheap, spicy and full of flavor. The aromatic smell of nasi goreng and babi guling in the kitchen escapes onto the street, luring tourists into restaurants and tiny warungs. I love the smell of Bali in the wet season, just after a short rain shower. It makes the trees and the incense from offerings smell a little sweeter. It turns the rice fields greener and offers a slight intermission during the day's heat. The dampness intensifies the vivid colors of Bali, introducing me to hues I've never experienced before. The architecture is stunning and incredibly detailed, and I'm constantly stumbling upon another building that looks as if it's been here for centuries. In Bali, I've found paradise on earth--it's a magical island that I don't think I'll ever be ready to leave. 

2 comments:

  1. Where abouts is the second last photo? I'm going to Bali in two weeks and that just looks so beautiful!
    Also I just stumbled across your blog and its amazing, such lovely photos!

    lbbsteph.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! That picture was taken near the Starbucks in Ubud, just off the main road. I believe there are dance performances held on that stage throughout the week. I hope you have a wonderful time in Bali. It's one of my absolute favorite places!

      Delete