15 September 2013

My Favorite Island

In between Bali's mainland and neighboring Lombok, there lies an island that often goes unnoticed by the average tourist. Compared to Bali, the island is sparsely populated, difficult to navigate and anything but luxurious. The interior of the island is arid and hilly, making farming more challenging for its inhabitants. And while still considered a part of Bali, the locals speak an older form of Balinese no longer heard on the mainland. There are no resorts, bike taxis, peddlers, infinity pools or nightclubs. In many ways, this island is what Bali was like 40 years ago, before mass tourism settled in and created environmental and cultural conflict. I'd like to introduce you to what has become my favorite Indonesian island:


NUSA PENIDA
I journeyed to Nusa Penida to volunteer with the Friends of the National Parks Foundation at their Conservation and Community Development Centre located near the village Ped. As soon I arrived, I noticed the stark contrasts from Bali's south coast--the water was clearer and trees hugged the coastline, instead of buildings and highways. My days on the island were spent in the organic garden, cleaning up the beach, snorkeling or exploring small villages. My nights were spent hanging out with the locals and other volunteers at the centre, where we'd sit barefoot around a long rectangular table and sing English and Balinese songs until midnight.

{It's not uncommon to have an entire beach to yourself on Nusa Penida}
{the best way to get around the island is by motorbike}
{sunrises worth waking up early for}

I've debated about writing this post for some time now, part of me selfishly wanting to keep Nusa Penida a secret; a place that wouldn't change no matter how many years passed between my visits. But I've realized that's completely unrealistic, and I know that tourism is welcomed on the island, as a couple of my Balinese friends are trying to start a tourism center there. Nusa Penida is certainly not for everyone. If you're looking for sights, museums and shopping, you won't find that here. Nor will you find pampering day spas and luxury hotels with Western amenities. No, Nusa Penida is for the avid adventurer and explorer--one who delights in camping on the beach, exploring unnamed caves, hiking through forests and learning about the local culture. It's where you go to relax and lose your sense of time as you adjust to the slower rhythm of life and discover the way Bali once was. I encourage you to visit, and if you do, please tread lightly. The island has neither the resources nor infrastructure to support the mass tourism that Bali has seen. So as you explore, remember the tagline created by my friends and featured on the island's only t-shirt, "Keep it natural."

No comments:

Post a Comment