16 June 2011

Mein Geburtstag

Yesterday was my 21st birthday. Though I missed being able to celebrate it with family and friends in the United States, I still had a wonderful time here in Saarbrücken. When I showed up to work in the morning, there were several surprises waiting for me:
H&M gift card from Youlia. She already knows me too well!
a gift from Necco-- his favorite beer from Berlin
a t-shirt with birthday wishes in everyone's native language
After work, I went with Carles, Diego, and Ludivine to an international festival called Global Village at the university. Raafi was there and let us sample some delicious Indian cuisine.




In the evening I met everyone at a Spanish restaurant called Viva Zapata that is located just down the street from my flat. We sat outside and the atmosphere was perfect--bier garten-style seating, live music from a Spanish guitarist, and warm weather. We all shared small plates of tapas, liters of wine, and good conversation. It was a great way to spend my birthday! Thanks to everyone who made it special.




Yesterday also marked the one year anniversary of my Semester at Sea voyage. A year ago I was in Halifax, Canada, celebrating my 20th birthday with new acquaintances who soon became good friends. A year ago I boarded the MV Explorer and set out on a journey across the Atlantic to nine Mediterranean countries-- an experience that undoubtedly changed my life. I never could have imagined then that I would be spending my next birthday in Germany! But I am incredibly grateful to be here and for all the amazing experiences I've had abroad, both this summer and last.

a sweet little necklace from my aunt & uncle
"Follow your bliss, and doors will open for you that you never knew existed. Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls." -Joseph Campbell

(Photo 4 courtesy of Raafi, Photo 6 courtesy of Ludivine)

No comments:

Post a Comment