26 November 2011

Small Town Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays of the year. And since I spent it in the Czech Republic last year, I was even more excited than usual to go home and eat a traditional Thanksgiving meal, lovingly prepared by my grandma. Though our holiday celebration is pretty low-key and basically consists of eating lunch, falling into a food-induced coma and watching the A&M/UT football game, I can still remember the the bygone traditions that use to excite me as a kid such as a game of baseball in the backyard, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, fighting for the wishbone of the turkey, and helping my mom redecorate the house for Christmas. Going home always conjures up memories of my childhood and reminds me that sometimes the simplest things in life are the most important. I am truly blessed & have so much to be thankful for.

When we all left for college, my friends and I started a tradition of getting together every year for a Thanksgiving Leftovers Party. It was great to catch up with some of my classmates that I had not seen in months, even years. I love hearing about everyone's goals for the future--we've grown up a lot in just four years. Here's some snapshots and an appropriate soundtrack from my trip to my hometown for Thanksgiving.



Do you use Instagram? Follow me @leahrichardson

"For each new morning with its light, 
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment