02 August 2012

Time for a Change

Maybe you've noticed a few changes here on the blog-- a new name, URL, and design. So what gives? This redesign is something I've contemplated for quite a while now. The blog's previous name, Rose-Colored Travels, emphasized seeing the world through rose-colored lenses, appreciating the beauty  in everything you see. And while I still consider positivity to be my number one trait, I've realized that writing with a completely optimistic outlook is only possible when you spend a short amount of time in a place. This was the result when I traveled abroad on Semester at Sea, visiting nine new countries and not spending more than a week in each one. As a tourist with only a few days in a city or country, there is just time enough to see all the wonderful things that place has to offer. Your days are filled with museums, cafes, historic churches, breathtaking landscapes, and photo opps. Things changed when I spent three months in Germany last summer for an internship. My stay was long enough to watch the charm dissipate and the skies turn grey--to absorb the culture shock, to realize the negative aspects, to develop homesickness. 

In one month, I will be leaving on my next adventure--backpacking in Australia. And since I've never considered myself the outdoorsy type, I thought Hiking in Heels would be an appropriate name for this next chapter of travel. This title will allow me to combine my love of travel and writing with fashion. I want my travelogues to be a more honest portrayal of the places I visit, the people I meet, and the lessons I learn. I hope to move beyond the stereotypes, clichés, and glittering generalities. There is so much change happening in my life right now--saying "see you later" to college friends, moving back home, and getting ready to move away again. Though change is scary, it can also feel like a breath of fresh air. I hope the changes on this blog will inspire you to have adventures of your own. I can't wait to share mine with you!

3 comments:

  1. Leah,

    I love the new name, look, and direction you're taking. I know you will discover and learn so much on your new adventure, and I will be probably feeling similar things as you as I have decided to move to Paris in the fall! So we'll both be living new adventures, only on opposite ends of the world :)
    I can't wait to read all about the next, exciting chapter of your life on your blog.

    Love,
    Ardena

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving this travel blog! I just had my own adventure in Europe so I know how you feel!

    -kim
    found the route

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to keep reading - you are doing great things!!!

    ReplyDelete