16 February 2013

In My Backpack: Beauty Products

When I decided to go backpacking, I knew I wouldn't be able to bring along the entire assortment of beauty products and hair appliances that usually clutter my bathroom counter and drawers. My 60 L backpack would not accommodate my nail polish or lipstick collections. However, I don't think any girl should have to give up her femininity just because she's living out of a backpack. So I've decided to share with you a few travel-sized and multipurpose beauty products that I never leave home without.

Travel Essentials

  1. Smith's Rosebud Salve- The classic floral-scented salve now comes in a travel-friendly tube. It works wonders on chapped lips, dry skin and minor burns.
  2. Adara Coconut Virgin Oil- This organic coconut oil is the ultimate multitasker. I use it as a skin moisturizer, a deep conditioning hair mask and to tame my split ends. The green tea fragrance is so nice that when I use it, people often ask what perfume I'm wearing. And I never have to worry about the oil leaking during a flight, because it naturally crystallizes in cooler temperatures. All you have to do is run the bottle under a warm tap before you want to use it.
  3. Violight Slim Sonic Portable Toothbrush- This toothbrush is probably the best thing I've ever bought for traveling. It brushes at 22,000 strokes per minute and the single AAA battery it came with lasted for four months. Portable, stylish, and it comes with a bonus replacement head.
  4. Batiste Dry Shampoo- Because you don't always have the time or resources to wash your hair when you're on the road, this dry shampoo is a life saver. Plus, it comes in the cutest travel size packaging.
  5. Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm- This happy yellow lip balm made with beeswax and coconut, sunflower, & peppermint oils is my all-time favorite.
  6. Lucas' Papaw Ointment- I only discovered this little gem once I arrived in Australia, but I will definitely be taking it on all my future trips. It's made with Australian papaya and can be used to treat sunburn, scalds, cuts, minor open wounds and burns, chafing, insect bites, and splinters.
  7. Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap- This concentrated castille soap, whether in liquid or bar form, is legendary among backpackers. Uses include face and body soap, household cleaner, laundry detergent, shampoo and more daring ones such as toothpaste and pest control. The soaps are organic, fair trade, 100% biodegradable and lots of other feel-good adjectives. I've been using the classic peppermint version, though I'd be curious to try some of the newer scents. It's almost worth buying just to read the crazy label on the bottle.
What's in your travel bag? Are there any products you regularly travel with?

No comments:

Post a Comment