03 March 2013

So Long Sydney

When I came to Australia, staying in Sydney for six months was not a part of my plan. But the city captivated my heart & I couldn't leave, even after my apartment lease was up. I am constantly impressed with it's diversity and natural beauty-- the nearby mountains, the hip beaches, and the fact that the entire city area is surrounded by water. The livelihood of Sydneysiders is strongly linked to the sea--surfing, diving, swimming, spending nice arvos on the beach, or taking the ferry to work every morning. In so many ways, Sydney is a perfect fit for me.

But it's now time for me to wave goodbye to this beautiful city I love. Autumn is quickly approaching with grey skies and cooler weather. It's time for me to do what I do best and follow the sun. Sydney has truly become my home away from home and I feel as if I'm leaving a big piece of my heart behind. I can't even begin to comprehend how much I will miss this place and the cold turquoise waters I spent countless days swimming, snorkeling and diving in; the weekly beach barbecues; the late nights out in Kings Cross; the outdoor cinema in the park; the weird and fascinating animals; the festivals; the 3 am dips in the sea.  But more than anything else, I'll miss my friends who I met here. They have colored the pages of this chapter in my book and have made my experience here amazing, ridiculous, full of laughter and unforgettable.

I still remember my first week in Sydney and the day I walked along the beach on my own, passing groups of people enjoying the outdoors together. Whether lying on the beach, throwing a frisbee around, drinking a few ciders or flipping steaks on the barbie, everyone seemed to take advantage of sunny days, time off and quality time with their mates. I remember longing for that sense of belonging--wishing for a close group of friends that I could spend my days here with.

It's my last day in Sydney, and if there's one thing I'm certain of, it's that I've found a great group of friends here. And even though the weather was less than ideal for my last weekend, we've made the most of it. Saturday was spent celebrating at the Sydney Mardi Gras Parade, covered head-to-toe in glitter and paper heart confetti. And this evening we had a barbecue on the beach. After sunset, I walked along the shore with Victoria, my first friend I made in Australia and the person I first visited Coogee Beach with. We wrote our wishes for the future in the sand and watched the waves carry them out to sea. It was the perfect ending to my Sydney adventure. I know I'll be back one day, and I like to think a small part of me will always be a Sydneysider. Until next time, so long Sydney!











No comments:

Post a Comment