05 March 2013

Wanderlust

For the last couple of months my mind has been wandering to an island far away. My thoughts are filled with visions of Bali and its tropical climate, spicy food, palm trees, warm blue waters, ancient Hindu temples and friendly people. Though I've never been there before, I can see it vividly in my daydreams and I have a feeling in my heart that it's where I need to be right now. My wanderlust is so strong that it outweighs my fear of being on my own again, leaving a city and friends I love behind, and going with little money to support me. My desire to get to Asia is so strong that I'm willing to take two flights and an 11 hour train journey to get there. This week I'll travel by train from Sydney to Melbourne, followed by a flight to Perth and then another flight to Bali. It's a convoluted way of getting there, but it's the cheapest way I could work out. Plus, it allows me to see a couple more places in Australia before I leave.


Just the mere thought of Bali fills me up with insurmountable joy. I'm ready for something new, something different--a culture that's completely unlike my own. I want to feel challenged--to get out of my comfort zone, to cope with culture shock, to learn a new language. I'll be in Indonesia for one month, and I'm hoping my time there will restore my spirit & give me a sense of direction and focus in my life. I can't wait to share my experience with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment